Lucas Hernandez – What do YOU think happened?

According to the Crime Online article, Lucas Hernandez had been abused by his father since he was 7 months old. He was already fragile due to his medical state, and his parents were seemingly overwhelmed with the amount of effort that was needed to care for him. The timeline at the end of the article (included below) paints a pretty sordid picture of the last year of Lucas’ short 5-year life. Little Lucas was emotionally and physically abused by both his father Jonathan Hernandez, and Jonathan’s live in girlfriend Emily Glass. Glass falsely reported Lucas missing on February 17, 2018 and on May 24 she led private investigator David Marshburn to his body, which she had hidden under a rural bridge in Harvey County, Kansas.

The last known report of abuse was taken by Lucas’ school nurse. Unfortunately, that nurse did not forward the report to child protective services (CPS). While the school Lucas attended did take good notes on Lucas’ injuries, it seems they failed to report the abuse to CPS, which left Lucas vulnerable to further abuse. Both Department of Children and Families (DCF) and the school failed Lucas at different times, and both should be held accountable for their missteps.  Reports and the timeline were provided by Kansas DCF Communications Director, Taylor Forrest.

Despite the school district’s comments that it followed proper procedures, no 911 calls have been found yet that indicate any calls were made to authorities from the school on behalf of Lucas.

After Lucas disappeared in February 2018, the school nurse then supposedly spoke with DCF after a request from a Wichita prosecutor. Below, additional details are provided with a timeline of reported instances of abuse.

  • February 14, 2015: Jamie Taylor, the biological mother of Lucas, becomes worried about him and asks police to check on the boy at his father’s house. Police don’t find anything unusual going on and noted Lucas as “fine.”
  • February 22, 2016: Police arrest Glass and Hernandez for fighting during a domestic dispute incident.
  • March 2017: A witness told the Kansas Department for Children and Families (DCF) that Lucas was covered in temporary tattoos to hide the bruises on his body.
  • May 16, 2017: A report is filed with DCF with complaints that Lucas is being abused at home, with Glass and an unknown person as the culprit. The reports noted that the witnesses said they saw a slap mark across the boy’s cheek and bruising on his arm in the shape of a hand.
  • October 2017: Glass visited Hernandez while he worked in New Mexico, and brought Lucas along with her. Family members in New Mexico reported that they saw Lucas with two black eyes. The incident was reported to children’s services in New Mexico.
  • November 2017: An updated report reflected that bruises appeared on Lucas after Glass fought with his father.
  • December 3, 2017: A witness spotted Lucas with bruising on his arms, legs, and forehead. Lucas said Glass got mad at him and “threw a water bottle at his face.”
  • December 16, 2017: Glass was supposed to pick Lucas up from school but claimed she fell asleep.
  • January 22, 2018: Lucas arrived to school with numerous bruises and abrasions, according to an interview conducted by DCF with the school nurse after Lucas disappeared. The nurse found abrasions and bruising on the boy’s right eyelid, right cheek, right knee, nose,  left eyebrow, left cheek, and left eyelid. He also had a large cut on his nose that measured around three inches long. The nurse said it looked as if Lucas had “been in a fight.” The quote by the nurse was given in late February 2018, as part of the Wichita prosecutor’s “child-in-need-of-care petition” filed after the state arrested Glass and took away her toddler daughter.
  • January 23, 2018: Lucas visits the nurse again at school and complained of a stomach ache. Glass picked the little boy up from school and took him to a doctor. He returned to school a few days with a doctor’s note that said his injuries looked like he fell.
  • February 1 and 6, 2018: Lucas continued to have stomach issues, even vomiting, and missed two days of school.
  • February 5: Glass’ ex-husband filed a report with DCF, claiming that her two biological sons were being abused while at her home. The father alleged that his sons told him that Hernandez was physically abusing them.
  • February 8, 2018: A DCF worker interviewed one of Glass’ sons at school. The boy said he got punished for spraying air freshener and that Hernandez pushed him. DCF didn’t notice any marks or bruising. The boy also said Hernandez yelled “bad words” at Glass.
  • February 9, 2018: Lucas attended school for the last day before he disappeared. A doctor’s note indicated he had a stomach virus.
  • February 16, 2018: Glass allegedly admitted she smoked a bowl of marijuana in the garage while Lucas and her 1-year-old daughter were in the home. She then drove to Olive Garden with her daughter, leaving Lucas home alone.
  • February 17, 2018: Glass reported Lucas missing.

lucas inujries

Published by

Please let us know you were here